Sunday, February 13, 2011

The One Where They Play Cake Boss







When Noah and Riley are together, anything can happen. When Riley spent the weekend with us, I casually mentioned that we should play Cake Boss and decorate a cake. I was surprised when they jumped at the idea and dug right in. I've had fun creating some cakes of my own, so I was excited to get them started.

I decided to let them take the reigns. I stood by to supervise and make sure the kitchen stayed within a reasonable level of chaos. They chose chocolate cake. They mixed it and baked it on their own. They surprised me when they decided to bake a few tiny cakes in miniature loaf pans. My grandma Laugerman gave me these pans years ago. As a blue ribbon baker, she would be proud to see her grandson using them.

The boys were pleasantly surprised to see how easy marshmallow fondant is to make. I think they were secretly delighted that it also makes a huge mess. Boys will be boys, ya know!

It was interesting to see their designs. It was awesome seeing these two rough and tumble boys dig into their creative and artsy side!

1 comment: