Monday, August 2, 2010

The One in Dubuque










We just returned from a long weekend in the Dubuque, IA area. I love Dubuque. I have such fond memories of visiting my Grandma Potras in this city. It is a city filled with hills, bluffs, and history.

We packed the weekend with as much action as we could. When we rolled into town we visited the house my mom grew up in. We were sad to see the neighborhood in a run down state. We were even sadder to see my Grandma's stately old home in shambles. It was a reminder to me that treasures are best stored in Heaven.

A few blocks from Grandma's house is the Fenlon Place Elevator. As a child, I always heard my family refer to it as the 4th Street Elevator. It is the worlds steepest shortest most scenic incline elevator. It was built in the 1800s by a businessman who wanted to shorten his walk into the downtown area from the bluffs. At the top of the elevator we were treated to spectacular views of the city.

It was fun hearing my mom reminisce about her life in this city. As we passed through the town, she often named people who lived in houses while entertaining us with stories of the antics of the 7 Potras brothers & sisters.

We ended our first day with a visit with our special friend, Jean. She lives in a lovely craftsman style house in the charming town of Bellevue, IA. Her front porch faces the Mississippi River with its rolling hills and bluffs. It was such fun visiting with her while gazing at the gorgeous scenery. Jean also treated us to a meal at Potter's Mill. If you ever visit Bellevue this restaurant is a must!

On Saturday, we ventured across the Mississippi to my Uncle Mike's house in Galena, IL for a family reunion. My uncle is famous for hosting fun family events. He and my Aunt, Linda lovingly open their home and yard to our rambunctious family. They planned games with prizes and even had a fishing pond for the little ones. My Uncle Bob became the designated photographer. I've included just a few of the many great shots he captured.

We had about 50 people at the reunion. My Grandma Potras would have been so happy to see her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren enjoying each others company.

No comments:

Post a Comment